This is the 2nd post in a series of seventeen posts I’m doing following Kim Roach’s list post of “17 Copy-And-Paste Blog Post Templates“. You can see all the posts from this series on my blogging challenges page.
In honor of my 30th birthday this week, I’ve decided to take a path taken by a lot of bloggers, and give you some insight into who I am, even if you don’t want to know, I’ll still tell you, so read on about 30 things you don’t want to know about me!
DISCLAIMER: Depending on where you know me from, you may already know some or all of these, so I apologize for wasting some of your time in advance.
1. I was a “model” for a sporting clothing line call New Face when I was a kid. I was in print advertisements in the official Montreal Canadiens Magazine called “Les Canadiens” . I also appeared in a television commercial for the company that played on RDS. This took place in the early to mid 1990s, the company has since went under, hopefully not because of my “modeling”.
2. I was born in a city that doesn’t exist anymore. The city’s name used to be Frobisher Bay, which was in the North West Territories in Northern Canada, but as of 1999 a portion of the Territories was officially “renamed” Nunavut and the city I was born in, now known as Iqualuit, became the Capital of this new territory. I moved to Montreal, Quebec when I was 3.
3. My heritage is British, German, Irish, and Italian.
4. I was one featured in the Montreal french newspaper called “Le Journal De Montreal” in the arms of then WWF pro wrestler Macho Man Randy Savage. I was crying because I wanted to take a picture with Hulk Hogan but he blew me off, I believe I was 6-7 years old.
5. I’m going to be a first time father in the coming days or weeks, the expected due date for my baby boy is March 15th 2012, and his name will be Nathan. (Yes I’ve already bought NathanNorthrup.com, but it will be for family only)
6. I don’t eat seafood or eggs.
7. My wife was born in Haiti, but has been in Montreal since she was 4 years old.
8. I created my first website back in 1995 when I first got access to the internet, it was on a Compuserve subdomain and it was about hockey cards. I also sold and bought hockey cards on eBay that same year.
9. I’ve been a BlackBerry fan for about 10 years, but have only had one for about 3 years.
10. I don’t remember the first domain I bought, but I’ve owned over 50 different ones in my time, right now I own 15, but expect to be up to about 20-25 by the end of 2012.
11. I bought a 2011 Kia Sportage this past summer, and love it so much.
12. Every year the Montreal Canadiens release a calendar, and in the late 80s I appeared in it. I was with Stephane Richer in the picture, not sure if that’s a proud moment or not!
13. I’ve been addicted to my BlackBerry PlayBook since July 2011.
14. I love peanuts, but hate peanut butter.
15. I once witnessed former pro hockey player Donald Brashear beat the heck out of pro wrestler Chris Candido because he had pushed my grandfather (he worked for the Montreal Canadiens).
16. This year, I’ll be starting my non-profit initiative, it’s not a company, but an initiative, more to come about that later on.
17. I’m addicted to Coca-Cola.
18. I’ve been playing hockey since I’m 4 years old, and I won’t stop until I die or physically can’t anymore.
19. My favorite hockey team growing up was the Boston Bruins, and my favorite player was Cam Neely, I still like them and Milan Lucic is starting to play like Neely. My favorite player now is Washington Capitals defenseman Mike Green.
20. Outside of Canada and the United States, the only other country I have visited is the Dominican Republic.
21. I’m a PC over Mac guy.
22. I made it all the way to a yellow belt in Karate before I quit, yes yellow is what comes right after white which is what you start with.
23. I played organized baseball for a few years as a kid, and was pretty good, but my passion has always been hockey so it didn’t last.
24. I started making websites with basic HTML, then Microsoft FrontPage, then e107 and now use WordPress. I have tried many others including Joomla, Drupal, PHPNuke, but never liked one better than WordPress.
25. I enjoy all kinds of different music, but my favorite type is rap music, and my favorite rapper has been Lil Wayne since the year 2000.
26. I rather watch hockey in my man cave than live in person, although I do want to watch at least one NHL game in every city. I’ve already done Montreal, Ottawa, Boston and New York. I also watched a game in Edmonton, but it was the outdoor game, the Heritage Classic between the Montreal Canadiens and Edmonton Oilers.
27. My favorite city is Halifax, Nova Scotia.
28. I want to manage my web consulting company entirely using my BlackBerry PlayBook and smartphone. That is one of my end goals.
29. I often picture myself running a web company like the 900 phone company that Mathew McConaughey’s character works for in the movie Two For The Money. I have the movie poster framed and hanging in my man cave.
30. I can’t share all my secrets, have to keep some for next year!!