The first month of the year has come and gone, and it’s time to see how my 16 goals for 2016 are doing. This post is more for accountability, but it’s also a great motivator to do better this month.
A month is about 8% of the year, so that’s what I will be comparing my goals against so far, however a few of them are meant to be completed later in the year.
- Invest 10% of my income; I’m only at 2%, but I have taken the steps to have 10% automatically taken out of my account each month starting in February, so I’m confident this goal will be met.
- Getting rid of all my debt; This is only set to start in March, but the financial plan is according to schedule so far, so this should be easy.
- Triple my online income; I’m at 7.5% right now, so just below my goal, the last week of January it really picked up, and since I’ve been working a lot more at it, I’m thinking this goal isn’t set high enough.
- Cut recurring payments by 20%; At just over 20% of my goal reached in the first month, I’m really proud of this, but also sad that I hadn’t done this before. I was able to cut costs without sacrificing anything of important. The next big cuts will be to my car and house insurance once they renew in April and May.
- Drink 732 L of water; This is my biggest disappointment so far this year, I haven’t even reached 1% of this goal yet, and there is no trend in any direction, I really need to work on this one!
- Cut fast food; Of the 31 days in January, I was able to avoid fast food 21 total days, which is good if you know me, but can definitely be better.
- Losing 60 LBS; I should lose 5 lbs per month to reach this goal, and I lost 8 lbs in January, so I’m ahead of schedule, it’s important to note I lost another 16 lbs in the first 2 days of February due to the flu, but will gain most of it back, and should have an accurate reading at the end of the month.
- Cutting Caffeine; I was able to avoid caffeine 17 of 31 days, which isn’t great, but the one positive is that I avoided Coca Cola 27 of the 31 days, and that’s my biggest weakness, now I just need to get the ice caps under control and I will do better. (BTW I’m drinking an ice cap as I write this update!)
- Adding 400 new Team Canada hockey cards; I’ve added 59 in January, which is ahead of my goal, but as this goes on, it will get harder to find the missing cards. I do have a trip to the big Toronto expo this spring that I’m hoping will help me out achieve this goal.
- Scanning my hockey card collection; I haven’t started doing this yet, so this is a fail so far, and I’m not sure February will be the month that it changes, but by March it will begin for sure as I prepare for the expo.
- Making the bed; I made the bed 25 of 31 days, which is pretty good considering I rarely ever made it in the past, and it’s true what they say about making the bed, makes for a more productive day!
- Sleep 8 hours a night; I average 7.8 hours of sleep per night in January, which is good and close to my goal, February will be better, and as spring and summer come around it will be even better as the morning and night routine with the kids gets shorter.
- Making 3000 calls; This was harder to log than I thought, so I’ve only been logging calls made on my cell phone, while quite a few are made from my work phone. I’m at 3% of my goal, so quite a bit under it, I figure even with the phone at work, I’d only be around 4-5% so I need to pick this up quite a bit.
- Have 24 websites up and running; I’ve decided to only count websites that I’ve added to the Deuce Group Web Properties website, and I only add them once they are done (minus marketing and content of course). I should have had 2 done in January, but I have 4 up there now, so I’m ahead of the game, again another goal that will get harder as time goes by.
- Reach 4000 posts; A lot of those posts are related to my hockey card collection which I haven’t started scanning. I’m at 2% right now, but once that scanning starts, it will dramatically go up and fast.
- Double my 2015 pageviews; Just over 4%, so I’m on pace for my 2015 numbers again, but with all the time and effort I’m investing, there will be increase with a snowball effect as the year progresses.
All that to say, I’m pretty happy with the way January went, but I know I can do better, and just writing this posts make me want to not only achieve my goals, but surpass them!
Also, stay tuned, the Jamie Northrup website will be getting a major overhaul in the next few weeks, all the great content will still be available, but the website won’t be a blog style website anymore, it will be all about… ME!